Have you ever taught students a skill and it just doesn't stick? Students need lots of practice using that skill within the text. Word Study Passages allow for students to use that newly learned skill within the context of reading. After reading, students will identify the word study skills by studying the 4 bolded words in each passage and working with each word at the bottom of the page. After the pandemic, many students have fallen behind. They need lots of extra practice to acquire and learn new skills. Word study passages are perfect to help them get that practice. Everything they need is on one page.
What is Included in Each Set?
- 12 word study passages to help identify word study skills in texts during reading.
- 4 bolded tier 2 words in every passage.
- Word study work underneath each passage.
- Writing connection, applying words into own writing.
- Google Classroom Digital Version.
How to Use Word Study Passages
- As mentor texts during a whole group word study lesson on prefixes.
- In a small guided reading group.
- In a word study reading center.
- As independent practice after a lesson on prefixes.
- As a homework review.
- Practice for taking standardized tests.
Teachers love these sets. Students apply the skill taught. The bolded words allow students to practice context clues. Here are what some teachers are saying about this product.
“My 5th graders lack these skills. It has been nice to have a concrete set of lessons to present to help them understand and interpret unknown and/or longer words.”
“My students love using these! They are a great way to give explicit instruction and practice!”
Try a Free Set of Word Study Passages Today
What Topics are Covered in Word Study Passages?
- Apply the Word
- Background Knowledge
- Base Words
- Compound Words
- Context Clues
- Inferring Word Meanings
- Literal v. Figurative
- Monitoring for Meaning
- Multi Meaning Words
- Suffixes Set One
- Suffixes Set Two
- Word Parts
- Word Lists
- Words in a Phrase
Click on the set titles to purchase individually, or bundle for even bigger savings.
To see phonics skills being applied within the context of the text, check out this blog post
Your point of view caught my eye and was very interesting. Thanks. I have a question for you. https://accounts.binance.com/en/register-person?ref=P9L9FQKY