Hello there teacher friends!
I love teaching vocabulary each week to students and think it’s super important to spend just 15 minutes a day being intentional about vocabulary instruction.
THE VOCABULARY CURRICULUM WAS BORN:
You may be wondering how/when/why I’ve created a vocabulary curriculum. It all began on a casino floor in Las Vegas, Nevada!!
My good friend and teacher author, Miss Decarbo and I were chatting about the need for vocabulary. I’ll let her tell the story here…
WHAT DID WE DO?
Miss Decarbo and I spent a few years reading books on teaching vocabulary, writing outlines/notes/rough drafts, until we were finally ready to start creating the content in the very BEST way that would work for kids and teachers. She has written all the K-2 sets, which can be found at primaryvocabulary.com
- To create the VERY best vocabulary curriculum that addressed intentional instruction of weekly tier 2 words.
- To teach tier 2 words within the context of stories and nf passages.
- To expose students to many contexts of each word throughout the week.
- To make the lesson short (15-20 min).
- To give teachers EVERYTHING they need to make planning quick and fun.
- Focus on making connections between new vocabulary and personal experiences, rather than simply memorizing a list of generic definitions and words.
- Allows students several opportunities to play with words and their meanings, thinking deeply about how words can change meanings based on the context in which they appear.
- Integrate vocabulary skills into all parts of the students’ day, including both the reading and writing workshops.
- Teach students to notice word meanings and how those meanings impact the overall message of a text or oral conversation.
- Help students understand the value of having a rich vocabulary.
- Encourage learning through working with partners and in small groups.
- Empower students to be in charge of their own learning. By giving them the power to become active participants in the lessons, it makes learning so much more meaningful.
- When learning becomes meaningful, students tend to work a whole lot harder to reach their highest potential!
- Teach students to be interdependent and accountable for each other’s learning.
WHAT DOES A WEEK LOOK LIKE?
- EVERYTHING has been planned ahead of time for you…even teacher language for every day!!
- Each day of the week comes with a teacher page all ready to go for your lesson.
- It also includes a student page for independent practice.
- There is so much more to add to the core lessons each day. Take a look!
TRY A FREE WEEK!
If you teach in grades 3-6, click the grade level you need to try a week for free now!
SEE IT ALL NOW!
If you would like to see the entire curriculum now, click the grade level you need now!