Students have a hard time identifying different genres. They need more practice with engaging texts. Genre Passages help students to identify different reading genres while practicing comprehension skills. Students look for the criteria that make each genre unique. These passages can be used independently or to support learning specific reading skills. If you own the Out of This World Literacy Reading Workshop, these Genre Passages are aligned perfectly with that unit. Use Genre Passages to enrich their learning.
What are Genre Passages?
Genre Passages are short stories. The passages relate to this day and age as they are current stories. The stories are engaging and relevant to students. They are ready to use with no setup required. Each set focuses on one specific genre. Students are immersed in that genre. They read the texts and answer the reading comprehension questions. Students begin by looking for specific features in that genre while making connections. This helps them to identify each unique genre while practicing application. These passages are excellent tools to use after a whole group or a small group lesson. The passages can be used as a homework review or in a literacy center.
What's Included in Each Set of Genre Passages?
- 12 Different Passages available in each set
- Each passage is differentiated into 3 reading ability levels
- Custom art and illustrations from the talented, Three Birds Art
- 12 specific skills to look for when reading each genre
- 3 Multiple Choice comprehension questions for each passage
- Complete the statement comprehension responses
- Deeper Thinking open-ended questions
- Complete answer keys
- Digital format
- Printable format
Differentiated into 3 Levels
Each passage has 3 different levels to allow for differentiation. Students are reading about the same topic. By looking at the code at the bottom of each page, you can assign passages based on the reading levels.
- Basic Level:
- Grades 1-2 ability level.
- Shorter sentences
- Simplified language
- Simpler vocabulary
- Basic sentence structures
- Shorter paragraphs
- Larger font
- More spacing
- The story number followed by .1.Examples: Story 1.1. Story 2.1.
- Average Level: .
- Grades 3-4 ability level.
- Sentence variety
- Adjusted vocabulary
- 2-4 syllable words
- Added contractions
- More content in a paragraph
- Average font size and spacing
- The story number followed by .2.Examples: Story 1.2. Story 2.2.
- Advanced Level:
- Grades 5-6 ability level.
- Combined sentences
- Challenging vocabulary
- Advanced sentence structuring
- Longer paragraphs
- More abstract ideas in story content
- The story number followed by .3. Examples: Story 1.3. Story 2.3.
Genre Passages can be purchased in individual genres or in a bundle. Click on the above genre to buy individually or purchase the bundle for even bigger savings. The bundle is growing with more genres being added.
For more information on the Units of Study, please check out this blog post: Back to School With Reading and Writing Workshop and How to Teach Informational With Reading and Writing Workshop